The IRS provides many tax relief opportunities for small businesses. Still, many owners do not know the deductions they can claim and end up paying significant taxes.
Learning about the relief options available for small enterprises can reduce your tax burden. Continue reading to discover the deductions you may leverage.
One tax relief opportunity you can use is your insurance. The IRS allows business owners to deduct 100% of the cost of their health insurance. You can also subtract business continuance insurance when calculating taxes payable.
If you have insurance policies for your employees and assets, you may use them to claim a tax credit. Some policies the IRS recognizes in this category are:
- Liability coverage
- Malpractice insurance
- Property insurance
- Auto insurance
- Workers’ compensation
If you run a small business with less than 50 employees, you may qualify for a 50% tax credit. This will be possible through the qualified small employer reimbursement arrangement (QSERA). This program allows you to refund employees for health insurance premiums if you do not have a group policy.
If you run an inventory-based business, you may qualify for tax relief. Still, you must first determine the cost of goods sold. After that, deduct this amount from the profit to evaluate the net sales.
One expense that will qualify you for tax relief is the cost of raw materials. You can also deduct storage and direct labor costs for employees producing the goods.
All utilities used by your small business qualify you for a tax credit. These include trash, water, electricity, internet, telephone, and mailing.
Keep proper records of these expenses to ensure you claim the right deductibles. Further, get professional tax preparation services to certify you include all utility bills and provide the required documentation.
Another way to reduce your small business’ tax burden is by deducting various fees associated with software solutions. These may include the initial installation and purchase costs. You can also add subscription and scheduled maintenance fees.
If your small business entertains clients, you can reduce the tax liability. However, the IRS will only allow claiming 50% of the total cost as a deductible.
Many small business owners provide meals and drinks for their employees. Others host office parties to celebrate achievements.
If you incur expenses on such entertainment costs, you should note they are 100% deductible from owed taxes. Still, you must prove the fees were business-related and provide receipts.
Business travel is another tax relief opportunity many small business owners miss. The IRS allows you to lower taxes owned by deducting various travel expenses. Such relate to taxis, accommodation, tolls, and airfare.
Before qualifying for deductions under business travel, you must prove the trip was outside the region you run the company. Further, the journey must last longer than a full business day.
If you lent money and did not receive it back, you can claim it as a deductible when filing business taxes. A tax resolution expert can help you prove bad debt with the proper documents. They will also calculate the taxable income by deducting the debt and other associated transaction costs.
Some aspects the IRS may consider bad debt are:
- Business loan guarantees
- credit sales
- Money lent to employees or distributors
Why You Should Get Professional Tax Relief Services
The IRS provides many tax relief opportunities to small business owners. Due to this, it may be challenging to identify some and ensure you deduct them from the taxable revenue.
A tax relief companies/expert understands the laws governing small businesses. With their help, you can quickly identify the deductions you qualify for and claim them.
Get Tax Relief Services at FinishLine Tax Solutions
At FinishLine Tax Solutions, we can help reduce tax reliability. Our CPAs will review your small business’ financial records to identify deductibles. They can also file back taxes and provide IRS tax audit representation. Call us now for assistance.
- FinishLine Tax Solutions is a full-service, fully accredited tax resolution firm in Houston, TX, assisting companies and individuals nationwide in resolving tax problems with the IRS. We specialize in areas of back taxes such as IRS wage garnishments, IRS bank levies, and unfiled tax returns. Our team of experts comprised of licensed Enrolled Agents, CPAs, & IRS Tax Attorneys can assist you with IRS Audit Representation and Tax Planning. We are one of the leading tax resolution firms in the nation and your go-to tax relief firm that can take you to the Finish Line. Call us today to learn more about our tax relief process and tax resolution services.
- IRS Hardship Program2023.03.21IRS Hardship Program: Eligibility and Program Details
- tax attorney2023.03.07Navigating Tax Debt: Why Hiring a Tax Debt Attorney is Crucial for Finding Relief
- Media2023.02.14Scott Curley Featured on Dallas Morning News
- Tax Filing2023.02.13IRS Recommends Taxpayers Wait Before Filing Returns Due to Refund Confusion